
So I'm a little late posting this. It has something to do with not bringing my camera to church, and my daughter accidentally getting chocolate on her white dress. Oops. I then scoured the internet for a picture I can legally use that would depict White Sunday, a popular holiday in Samoa, but I did not find anything suitable. Well, I am sick with the flu (my back is hurting from being in bed most of the day), and in need of doing something that doesn't require a lot of brain power. So here I am, once again, surfing the web. Well, I came across this photo again, and I've decided to post it. It was uploaded by Rayandjan on Travelpod.com (please don't kill me). This picture is actually from Western or Independent Samoa (not my particular island) but it does look similar to American Samoa ~ where I actually live ~ and it'll give you a little glimpse into what this special day is like.
October 12th was White Sunday, a big holiday celebrated in the Samoa Islands, Tonga, and in other parts of the world where Samoan church communities live. White Sunday, which falls on the second Sunday of October, is a special day for parents, family and communities to celebrate and honor the children, to let them know they are loved and appreciated. All the children and women dress completely in white clothing. Many men do as well, but they may where a white shirt with a different colored lavalava (wraparound sarong).
Typically the children will lead the church services, which will include, songs, memory verses, dancing and skits. The children work very hard for at least 2 weeks prior to White Sunday, but after the church services, the children can enjoy good food, treats, games and maybe a new toy. In Samoa this day is called "Lotu Tamaiti" which means "Children's Day" or the "Children's service."
No comments:
Post a Comment